Accidental Humour Co. is launching a playwriting competition for Albertan Playwrights to submit an unproduced new work for a collaboration and possible production.
Who is Accidental Humour Co.?
We are an Alberta based theatre company that produces mixed media theatrical productions that are known for their seamless incorporation of pre-recorded film with live theatre. We are a collaborative team of artists who have been creating original productions for over a decade known for presenting at the Edmonton Fringe and touring across Alberta. Now we are looking to work collaboratively with Alberta playwrights to tell new stories from a new perspective.
What are we looking for?
We are looking for New Albertan works that are unproduced. We are looking for playwrights at any stage of their career that are interested in exploring the mixed mediums of film and projection into their stage scripts.
Our desire is for a collective collaboration of the playwright’s concept with Accidental Humour Co’s expertise in film and projection integration.
We are enthusiastic to explore all stories but have a real interest in Canadian stories featuring underrepresented perspectives and voices.
Submissions should include:
• An outline of the play.
• 10-20 page excerpt.
• A 100 word bio.
• Grand Prize is $500 and a (virtual) workshop with the Core Accidental Humour team*.
• 2nd prize is $250
*There is a possibility of production but is not a guarantee.
Rules and Regulations
Failure to meet rules and regulations may disqualify entries.
- Submissions must include an outline of the play, a 10-20 page excerpt, and a 100 word bio.
- Authors may enter more than one submission but each must be accompanied by a separate web form.
- Entry deadline is February 28, 2021 at 11:59PM.
- The script must be written in English.
- The script must be original. Adaptations of other works will not be accepted except for adaptations of works that are in the public domain (for instance a contemporary adaptation of a classic Greek tragedy)
- The competition is open to all residents of Alberta.
- Scripts that have been entered in other playwriting competitions are eligible
- Scripts that have been produced are not eligible. Plays that have been commissioned are not eligible.
Jurors & Winners
- Adjudication will be completed by the Accidental Humour Co. Core members.
- Winners will be notified and announced on March 31, 2021.
- Winners agree to allow Accidental Humour Co. to use their name and play title in promotion of the Accidental Authours Playwriting Competition.
- A submission should include an outline, a 10-20 page excerpt, and a 100 word bio, to be accompanied with the web entry form.
- Entries must be either a PDF or a Word document.
- All submissions must be received by deadline of February 28, 2021 at 11:59PM.
- Excerpt should be formatted as follows:
- Text should be double-spaced between speaking parts.
- Speakers’ names should be isolated from their dialogue in some manner.
- Stage directions need to be clearly distinguishable from dialogue by the use of italics or other similar manner.